Daily Email

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Spirituality: Reviewing your Prayer

After the formal prayer period is over I review what happened during that time and jot down my reflections, not simply what ideas I had, but more the movements and feelings I experienced. Questions like the following may help.

1. What went on during the period of prayer?
2. What actually happened? Be concrete. What images arose?
3. What struck me?
4. How did I feel about what went on?
5. Was there consolation or desolation? Fear or peace? Joy or anxiety? Boredom? And so on.
6. What about my distractions, especially if they were deep or disturbing?
7. What was my mood, changes in mood?
8. What did the Lord show me?
9. Where might I go in my next period of prayer?
10. Is there some point I should return to in my next period of prayer?
11. With whom and how did I relate or converse (God the Father, Jesus, Holy Spirit, Mary, one of the disciples, other persons)?
12. How did I feel as a result of what happened (positively or negatively)?
13. How did I respond? What desire did I notice? What decision did I make? (positive or negative)
14. Did I receive the grace I sought?

Jotting down my reflections during the review will also help me to discuss my prayer experience with the spiritual director. During this review I thank God for his favors and ask pardon for my own negligences.

This review is an instrument to help me reflect upon the experience of the prayer period. It helps me notice my interior experiences. Thus it enables me to be spontaneous during the actual prayer time and to with the flow of the experience. If I were to monitor myself during the period of prayer, I would be interfering with the Lord’s communication. I let happen what is happening during the prayer time; afterwards I take a look to see what the Lord is saying in all this.

It is also helpful at the end of a prayer period to signal the difference of this review from the prayer period by some change of place or posture: the activity of review is different from the actual prayer period.

The above suggestions to facilitate your prayer are not a mechanical technique. They are often helpful but do not guarantee an experience of God. God cannot be manipulated like some sort of celestial Coke machine whereas I put in money, push a button, and cans drop out of the machine. All prayer is God’s gift.

From Joseph Sobb, S.J. of the Australian province

No comments:

Post a Comment