Daily Email

Monday, August 23, 2010

Prayer: Claude la Colombiere, S.J.

Jesus, you are the only and true Friend; not only do you participate in all my sufferings but you take them on yourself and know the secret of how to change them into joy for me. You listen to me kindly and when I tell you my afflictions you never fail to sweeten them.

I find you everywhere, you never go away, and if I am obliged to change dwellings I find you everywhere I go. You do not suffer from boredom when you listen to me, nor are you ever weary of doing me good.

If I love you, I am sure of receiving your love; you do not need my belongings nor are you impoverished by giving me yours.

Even though I am a poor man, nobody (however noble, intelligent or holy) can steal your friendship from me. Death itself, which divides all friends, will reunite me with you.

No adversity of age or change will succeed in drawing you away from me; on the contrary, I will never so fully enjoy your presence and you will never be close to me as when everything seems to conspire against me.

Only you, with wonderful patience, can bear with my faults. Even if my unfaithfulness and ingratitude offend you, they do not prevent you from always being ready, if only I want it, to grant me your grace and your love.

No comments:

Post a Comment