Daily Email

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Feast of the Guardian Angels

I honor the triduum (three days) sets aside for the angels from the three Archangels on September 29th to the Guardian Angels on October 2nd. The feast of the Guardian Angels has always been significant to me because my oldest sister was born on this day in 1956. She was the first born child in the family and was born with profound mental retardation because the umbilical cord wrapped around her neck in utero and deprived her brain of needed oxygen. My parents received poor medical advice from my mother's doctor who told my mother that she was in false labor though she was hemorrhaging. Medical care today would prevent a situation like this from occurring.

Anyways, my sister graced my life and taught me much about pastoral ministry. Her life was extremely difficult, but she brought out great love from us and from those who were in contact with her. Because of her condition, I was left searching for answers to the age old questions: If God is loving and all-powerful, why does God allow the suffering of the innocent. My first religious experience was talking with God about the reasons for her suffering and for her incomplete life. Through the events of her life, I became much closer to God and Jesus Christ as I peppered them with so many other questions. I'm grateful for some of the answers I received.

Anyways, here is a poem that both consoled and perplexed me when I was a young boy. I admit that it is a bit hokey and it reads like a hallmark card, but it helped me grapple with my sister's situation in life at a time I needed to ask more questions to God. It gave me great comfort to know that God chose my parents to bring such a special child into the world, and I also realized that God would not act in this way. Sometimes, accidents are just accidents and God does not look for certain people to handle the suffering of the innocent. I did feel in my heart that my sister, Dawn Mari, had an angel to specially care for her in her earthly life. It is just a feeling of certainty that consoled me. It was providential that she was born on the Feast of the Guardian Angels. Dawn Mari died eleven years ago on October 30th.


A meeting was held quite far from earth!

It's time again for another birth.
Said the angels to the Lord above,
This special child will need much love.

His progress may be very slow,
Accomplishments he may not show.
And he'll require extra care
From the folks he meets down there.

He may not run or laugh or play,
His thoughts may seem quite far away,
In many ways he won't adapt,
And he'll be known as handicapped.

So let's be careful where he's sent,
We want his life to be content.
Please Lord, find the parents who
Will do a special job for you.

They will not realize right away
The leading role they're asked to play,
But with this child sent from above
Comes stronger faith and richer love.

And soon they'll know the privilege given
In caring for their gift from heaven.
Their precious charge, so meek and mild,
Is heaven's very special child.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful poem.. Thank you. Thank you for ALL your words. Words which lift me, inspire me, give me pause to think.. Thank you. You are very special, and I appreciate you.

    Lisa
    http://iamaneverydaycatholic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lisa. Blessings to you as you begin your blog. Thanks for your kindness and warm sentiments. Your words were uplifting for me today.

    ReplyDelete