Daily Email

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Prayer: Elegy


When I die
if you need to weep
cry for someone
walking in the street beside you.
And when you need me
put your arms around others
and give them
what you need to give me.
You can love me most by letting
hands touch hands
and souls touch souls.
You can love me most by
sharing your joys
and multiplying your generosity to others.
You can love me most
by letting me live in your eyes
and not just in your mind.
Love doesn't die.
People do.
So when all that is left of me is love,
give me away.

2 comments:

  1. beautiful... when i read this, i thought of some cherished Jesuit friends now gone. they'd probably say the same sorts of things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kim. I find it very tender and powerful. You certainly were blessed to know some good Jesuit friends.

    ReplyDelete