Daily Email

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Poem: "Take, oh Take" by Rabindranath Tagore


Time after time I came to your gate
with raised hands, asking for more and yet more.
You gave and gave, now in slow measure, now in sudden excess.
I took some, and some things I let drop; some lay heavy on my hands;
some I made into playthings and broke
them when tired; till the wrecks and
the hoard of your gifts grew immense,
hiding you, and the ceaseless expectation
wore my heart out.

Take, oh take - has now become my cry.
Shatter all from this beggar's bowl;
put out the lamp of the importunate watcher;
hold my hands, raise me from
the still-gathering heap of your gifts
into the bare infinity of your
uncrowded  presence.


2 comments:

  1. The generosity of God is overwhelming and yet I long for, as Tagore so beautifully wrote, "the bare infinity of your uncrowded presence". This is so amazing. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete