Daily Email

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Poem: "The Coming" by R. S. Thomas

And God held in his hand
A small globe. Look he said.
The son looked. Far off,
As through water, he saw
A scorched land of fierce
Colour. The light burned
There; crusted buildings
Cast their shadows: a bright
Serpent, A river
Uncoiled itself, radiant
With slime.
On a bare
Hill a bare tree saddened
The sky. Many people
Held out their thin arms
To it, as though waiting
For a vanished April
To return to its crossed
Boughs. The son watched
Them. Let me go there, he said.

2 comments:

  1. The picture of the Son saying to the Father "I want to be with them" I was especially meaningful to me this morning. God longing to be one with us is an image of love that I hope to remember as I go through my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to read your comment, Hazel. The point you pick out is certainly consoling to me.

      Delete