Daily Email

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Song: "Y'rushalayim Shel Zahav" (Jerusalem of Gold) by Naomi Shemer

The mountain air is clear as wine and the scent of pines is carried on the breeze of twilight with the sound of bells.

And in the slumber of tree and stone, captured in her dream, the city that sits solitary - and in its midst is a wall.

Jerusalem of gold and of bronze and of light, behold, for all your songs I am a violin.

How the cisterns have dried! The marketplace is empty, and no on frequents the Temple Mount in the Old City.

And in the caves in the mountain winds are howling, and no one descends to the Dead Sea by way of Jericho.

Jerusalem of gold and of bronze and of light, behold, for all your songs I am a violin.

But as I come to sing to you today, and to tell your praise, I am the least worthy of your children and the last of all poets born.

For your name scorches the lips like the kiss of a seraph. If I forget you, Jerusalem, which is all gold...

Jerusalem of gold and of bronze and of light, behold, for all your songs I am a violin.

No comments:

Post a Comment